- Essential guidance for application of GAAS, including SAS No. 136, as amended, in an audit of ERISA plan financial statements
- References to authoritative accounting guidance for defined contribution (DC), defined benefit (DB) and health and welfare (HW) plans in FASB ASC
- Guidance on accounting, reporting and disclosure for EBP transactions not addressed in FASB ASC as supported by FinREC
- Risk assessment and design of audit procedures in response to risks identified
- Auditor responsibilities for obtaining, reading the plan instrument and considering plan provisions when designing and performing audit procedures
- Use of a SOC 1 report
- Use of a specialist (including actuaries and appraisers)
- Forming an opinion and reporting on ERISA Plan financial statements for both ERISA Plan audits and ERISA Section 103(a)(3)(C) audits
- Illustrative auditor communications and financial statements
- Explanation of pervasive regulatory requirements (DOL rules and regulations)
Important Note: The 2020 edition has been updated to reflect implementation Statement on Auditing Standards No. 136, Forming an Opinion and Reporting on Financial Statements of Employee Benefit Plans Subject to ERISA, as amended (codified in AU-C section 703) and other new auditing standards issued in 2019, as applicable. For EBP audit engagements that are not early implementing these new auditing standards, the audit guidance in the 2019 edition continues to apply. We continue to offer the 2019 edition in all formats.
Your roadmap to EBP audit success
Whether you're a new or seasoned EBP auditor, you want your name to be on work you can be proud of. This guide is your ideal roadmap to a quality audit, giving you authoritative guidance, practical tips and illustrative examples to help you at each stage of the audit.
Flawlessly navigate every turn from acceptance to completion.
Designed to bridge the gaps between the what, why and how to satisfy your auditor responsibilities in accordance with significant new auditing standards, this guide gives you confidence when issuing your audit reports, or when others are evaluating your work.
In the spotlight — SAS No. 136, as amended and codified in new AU-C Section 703:
- Applicable to single employer, multiple employer, and multiemployer employee benefit plans subject to ERISA (ERISA plans)
- New performance requirements for an audit of ERISA Plan financial statements
- Significant changes to the form and content of the related auditor’s report for ERISA Plan audits (formerly referred to as full-scope audits) and new ERISA Section 103(a)(3)(C) audits (replacing those formerly referred to as limited-scope audits)
Updates in the 2020 edition
- Applicable implementation of SASs No. 134-140, as amended by SAS No. 141 issued in May 2020 and effective for audits of financial statement periods ending on or after December 15, 2021 with early implementation permitted
- Address the issuance of FASB ASU 2018-13 .
- Highlight select recent developments in standards impacting EBP auditing and accounting.
Get even more value with the Employee Benefit Plans: Audit & Accounting Set. This convenient bundle gives you access to the full range of Employee Benefit Plan content offered by the AICPA all in one convenient subscription. This online bundle includes how-to advice and authoritative guidance, valuable discussion, best practices, and much more. Follow the link above for more details.
Bundle & Save:
This product is also available in an online subscription format that includes the corresponding Employee Benefit Plans Industry Developments - Audit Risk Alert, content updates and unlimited online access for 1 year. Select the Online Subscription option and save!